We often get hiring and promotions back to front.
We look for people with the existing experience doing the role, because we approach the process risk adversely, with the idea that we will therefore minimize errors.
Rather, we should approach from a place of possibility.
The founder of Visa, Dee Hock has the best hiring advice of all.
He says it starts with integrity and ends in experience, because…
- “Without integrity, motivation is dangerous;
- without motivation, capacity is impotent;
- without capacity, understanding is limited;
- without understanding, knowledge is meaningless;
- without knowledge, experience is blind.
- Experience is easy to provide and quickly put to good use by people with all the other qualities.”
Seek out the unknown, the unexpected, the dreamers and misfits, the unheralded. The disorganizers.
This Much We Know.